- Boost your immune system with this delicious drink recipe from Elix TCM Advisor and Chef, Zoey Gong.
- With her background in clinical nutrition, professional kitchen, and TCM, Zoey specializes in mostly plant-based Chinese medicinal cuisine and holistic food therapy.
- Let us know if you recreate this recipe by tagging us @elixhealing @zoeyxinyigong on Instagram!
In Chinese culture, Autumn is the perfect time to slow down, take care, and focus on strengthening our respiratory and immune systems for the cold winter ahead. To keep our bodies in balance, it is important to eat according to the season. Indulging in root vegetables and earthy spices are a great way to gently warm our bodies, and satisfy our sweet cravings which can actually benefit our gut health.
A popular drink in Asia during Autumn / Winter seasons is sweet potato lattes. They are a delicious sweet treat that are packed with heaps of nutritional benefits. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), sweet potatoes are typically good for digestion as they are a slow growing root-vegetable that belongs to the earth element which fortifies the stomach and spleen. When served as a warm beverage, they can also help restore balance to the body (yin and yang).
For this recipe, Zoey combined it with Pumpkin Spice for a unique twist on an all American classic, and topped it off with Elix’s Ginger Aide for added immunity boosting benefits.
Ingredients (1 mug):
- ⅓ cup sweet potato puree or roasted sweet potato
- 1.5 cup oat milk
- ⅛ tsp ground nutmeg
- ⅛ tsp ground clove
- ⅛ tsp ground star anise or all spice
- ⅛ tsp ground cinnamon
- ⅛ tsp ground ginger or 1 piece of fresh ginger
- ⅛ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tbsp honey*, or to taste
- 3 drops Elix Ginger Aide Tincture
*For a vegan version, use maple syrup.
- In a blender, blend sweet potato, oat milk, all the spices, and honey. Use the soup setting to warm the liquid, if your blender allows. If your blender does not have a soup setting, warm up your latte on the stove.
- Froth the latte and serve warm with drops of Elix Ginger Aide Tincture.
Would you like to be featured in The Wisdom or have an idea on what you'd like to see covered? Click here to let us know!