- We sat down with Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) Practitioner and Chef, Zoey Gong (@zoeyxinyigong).
- With her background in clinical nutrition, professional kitchen, and TCM, Zoey specializes in mostly plant-based Chinese medicinal cuisine and holistic food therapy.
- Excited for you to try this refreshingly delicious TCM cooling salad!
Purslane is a wonderful cooling vegetable for the summer. It can detoxify the blood and relieve summer heat. With a light sour-sweet dressing inspired by traditional Asian flavors and Elix Healing’s “Stay Well” tincture, this salad is perfect for a hot summer day and boosts our immunity to prevent the fall flu. It also contains a significant amount of fiber and complete protein from mung bean and coix seeds.
Ingredients (Serves 4):
- 1-1.5 lb purslane
- ¼ cup raw mung bean
- ¼ cup raw coix seed (sometimes called yi ren or pearl barley)
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1.5 tbsp light soy sauce
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp cane sugar
- 10 full drops of Elix Healing “Stay Well” tincture
- Pre-soak mung bean and coix seed in filtered water overnight. Rinse and boil them until soft on the second day. Let cool.
- Trim away the roots and thick stems of purslane. Blanch trimmed purslane in boiling water for around 15-20 seconds. Shock with iced water.
- Mix all dressing ingredients together. Taste and adjust.
- Mix cooked purslane, cooked mung bean and coix seeds, and dressing together. Taste and adjust!
Stay Well supports your everyday immune health. Using a unique blend of anti-inflammatory herbs, it can help you build long-lasting resilience. Some key ingredients in the Stay Well blend include:
- Ginseng to fight fatigue and chronic illnesses
- Reishi mushrooms to enhance your immune response
- Chaga mushrooms to reduce the severity of illnesses