- Balance your cycle with this delicious porridge recipe from Elix TCM Advisor and Chef, Zoey Gong.
- With her background in clinical nutrition, professional kitchen, and TCM, Zoey specializes in mostly plant-based Chinese medicinal cuisine and holistic food therapy.
- Let us know if you recreate this recipe by tagging us @elixhealing @zoeyxinyigong on Instagram!
As we transition from the heat of summer into the colder seasons, it’s best to eat foods that counter the cold, keep our bodies warm, and support our Qi (energy source). Did you know that colder weather can make our period pain worse, negatively affects our moods, and in some cases, even cause our cycles to become more irregular? One amazing option to combat this and warm up our bodies on those crisp autumn mornings is a rich and creamy bowl of porridge!
Based on traditional asian dishes like congee and jook, savory porridge has been growing in popularity recently, and the good news is that it is super easy to recreate at home! We love this Multigrain Pumpkin Porridge with Tahini for its simplicity as well as its warming effect and gut health benefits. The mix of grains and roasted pumpkin are known in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) to strengthen the spleen for improved digestion, while the tahini and mixed nuts help to moisten the intestines to relieve constipation and other dryness symptoms. For this recipe Zoey added a few droppers of Elix’s Cycle Balance for added hormone balancing benefits to support our menstrual cycles all season long.
Ingredients (4 servings):
- ½ cup brown rice
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ⅓ cup millet
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 6 cups of plant-based milk*
- 4 tbsp tahini
- 1 big handful of spinach
- Sea salt, to taste
- 4 additional tbsp tahini
- 1-2 tbsp warm water
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- Elix Cycle Balance Tincture
- 4 tbsp mixed nuts
*For a high-protein and non-vegan option, use bone broth.Directions:
- Soak brown rice overnight. (You can skip soaking if you are using the porridge setting of a rice cooker for this recipe)
- In a pot, cook all grains, pumpkin puree, milk, and tahini together until it reaches a porridge consistency. Add more liquid if the porridge is too thick or still not cooked; cook for longer or add more oats if the porridge is too thin.
- Season with sea salt, and/or other preferred seasonings.
- Right before serving, add in the spinach and cook for 1 more minute.
- In a bowl, mix tahini with warm water, soy sauce, and your Elix Cycle Balance Tincture to make a topping for the porridge.
- Top with nuts. Serve warm.
Curious if Cycle Balance can help your hormonal symptoms and re-balance your cycle? Take our Health Assessment to discover your personalized blend of herbs.